Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dissolution of VILASURI, the only Residents Association of Villa Laman Tasik

Villa Laman Tasik, view from the lake.


Being the first chairman of the Residents Association of the Villa Laman Tasik, Bandar Sri Permaisuri Kuala Lumpur (VILASURI) in the year 2001-2003, I was indeed very disappointed and sad that VILASURI was finally dissolved during the AGM on the 8 March 2009. Those residents who voted for the dissolution gave the following reasons:

1. Since there was a Joint Management Committee (JMC) that takes care of the welfare of the residents, there is no necessity for a duplicated body.

Have they failed to understand that VILASURI and JMC are two very different bodies by itself?

VILASURI was registered with the Registrar of Societies, while formation of JMC was compulsory under the Strata Title Act.

Membership for VILASURI was opened to all Malaysian citizens (owners and tenants) above the age of 18 residing in Villa Laman Tasik, while JMC only represent the house owners.
(Limited to 1 owner of each house under the Act 663 article 14 (5) joint purchasers shall not be entitled to vote except by way of a jointly appointed proxy)
So, without VILASURI, who looks after the affairs of the non-owner residents.

If we read through the Act 663 under section on Duties and powers of Joint Management Body, JMC deals more with the day to day administrative functions on maintenance and development of the property, while for VILASURI, its main aim was to carry out social, educational, recreational and cultural activities of the members.


2. Less and less members paid up their annual subscriptions.

How many on earth will voluntarily stepped up to you and make a payment which was only RM10.00 annually? Had the treasurer and the committee members made an effort to collect subscriptions? During my time, the committee members knocked on their neighbours’ doors for the subscription collection. I would like to take this opportunity to extend my gratitude to Molly, who had to listen to so much fuss and scolding from a particular neighbour before he made his subscription payment.

3. Members did not participate actively in social activities.

Don’t blame the members and residents. Stop pointing fingers at them. Ask yourself, how many committee members came for this so call family day in Taman Rimba Ampang? Only my family, S M Chan’s family and the organizer Judy Tan’s family participated. Where were the Chairman and his committee members? If you yourself don’t support your own activity, do you expect others to support you?

The only 2 kids participated in the family day in Taman Rimba Ampang





Look back during my time, we have a lot of overwhelming family social activities, like trip to Bidor/Telok Intan, Kuala Selangor, Paya Indah Wetland in Dengkil.
Children had good time playing while the adults enjoying fruits offered by a member whose hometown was in Bidor



While inside the compound of Villa Laman Tasik, we had Chinese New Year celebration with lion dance going round the whole compound. For this activity, I had very pleasant memory on the preparation works carried out by the members and their spouses.


The Lion Dance and the Calligraphy writing


The Club House was packed with crowds; Our invited guests celebrating together


Moon Cake festival celebration was organized in the year 2002 with Datuk Tan Chai Ho, the MP cum Deputy Minister then as our VIP in attendance. Special thanks and appreciations to Mr. Ng C J, who had helped to pick up the moon-cakes and drinking water, and transported them all the way to the clubhouse. Can you imagine the weight of the cakes and water that applied to an aged retiree?
Having a chat and light refreshment with Datuk Tan Chai Ho

Members and their families also participated actively in activities outside the Villa. One good example was the anti drug abuse activity organized by the PEMADAM in Kampong Cheras Baru.

While Chung was explaining the pictures at the exhibiting board to his children, a reporter took a photo of it, and published it the next day in the Newspaper.

Members attending the anti drug abuse campaign officiated by Tan Sri Dato' Michael Chen

Some other avtivities included:

Recycle campaign

Buffet at Grand Seasons Hotel

Nothing is permanent. VILASURI had finally comes to an end for the above reasons described by the last VILASURI committee, or whatever reasons that were not revealed.

VILASURI, was like my lover who jilted me, diminishing from my tears-filled eye sight, but left a lot of sweet and sour memories in my heart. VILASURI, I love you, forever and ever….



To end this, I like to take this opportunity to extend my appreciations and thanks to:

Judy Tan, a very dedicated and efficient secretary. Her English scored A1++. Many a time I had difficulties in understanding the vocabularies she used (Many a time, I pretended that I understood). I like the way she giggled, very melodious like a garden bird. But, don’t play a fool with her, when came to negotiations with the developer and management company (DMSSB), she was real serious and never gave a slightest chance. I salute the man behind her, Patrick, who had silently and unanimously supported her in helping to run the VILASURI.

Chung Y T, our Treasurer. Efficiency was his greatest point. Besides, he was a very active, friendly and knowledgeable man. He moved out of Villa Laman Tasik recently. Nowadays, every time I passed by his house, I recall the day he invited us to his house for X’mas, not forgetting his wife’s superb cooking, which were so delicious. I also love to see his hydroponic vegetables at his backyard.

Ng C J, top class vice chairman. We called him Penghulu of Villa Laman Tasik. As the only committee member who did not need to punch in and out at work place, he had helped out a lot in many things. He seems to know everything that happened in the Villa Laman Tasik, examples like the water pipe burst in which place; the landslide occurred around lake view area; which house was flooded during the recent heavy rain; snake entered which house etc. He had good hospitality. Many times we had pot-luck gathering, festival gathering in his house. I cannot forget him wearing the Indian costume during the Chinese New Year.

S M Chan, the Deputy Chairman. Quiet but everything is in his hand, having vast knowledge over housing management. As far as I remembered, he never missed any committee meeting. He was indeed my very good advisor in dealing with housing matters with the DMSSB and the developer.

While for S H Chan, due to his nature of work, where he needed to travel overseas often, he missed quite a few times of the meetings, but when he appeared, everyone would be suddenly became lively, because he could bring in a lot of jokes and humorous statements that made us laugh and laugh. The nights were always young with him around. We could continue our happy hours at the Stephen’s Corner in Pandan Indah, recommended by him.

Never forget others like Thomas, Alex, the late Haji Idris, Haji Arshad, Miss Thong (our sweet young sister), Molly, Goh N S, Haji Yusof, Zaidi……and many others, where I couldn’t describe in detail one by one. They had given me such memorable and nice time during my office as the Chairman of the VILASURI. Together we met, we laughed, we negotiated with the tough giants (that’s what they thought, but to us, they were nothing more than just a mere supplier of shelters where we paid for) without fear, we jointly inspected areas within and around our homes, we had fun together, we jokes on each other, we enjoyed the fellowship, and finally, I bided farewell for some personal reasons.

Closing note:

[Whisper] VILASURI, I love you, and now I miss you. I know you are gone forever, you’ll never come back again. But I have to face the fact. I have to abide the majority’s decision.

VILASURI, my sweet heart, you are always in my mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I failed to understand why the committee does not know how to draw a line between JMC & Villasuri and was swayed by a group who has every intention to replace the present JMC.The present committee are caught as sitting duck for dissolving Villasuri.In future who will raise any matters to JMC for matters other than ordinary administrative and business matter.I'm of the opinion that the visitors car park issue is not an ordinary business matter and it may require an EGM. If the don't tread carefully the may end up having to answer to the residents for wrongfully bulldozing the implementation of leasing the car park.I also share the good memories down the memory lane too bad they don't see my view and yours.


Goh NS

Anonymous said...

I have stayed here for 6 over years. From the very first year, I was invited by my brother-in-law SH Chan, to join the committee; knowing well I have been active from school days activities to social clubs. But what I am tired about is that no one voluntarily come forward to be nominated into the committee and some of those voted would try to avoid being active and finally and conveniently left out.

Of course I share the same sentiment with Mr. Lee being a social club but what point of struggling to maintain the club when not many are willing to sacrifice their time to organise events and worse still not many willing to participate in the events. Better we organise among residents for pot-luck and impromtu gatherings.

On the part of non-owner residents' issues, the norm is the renting resident will go back to the owner for any complaint and not to a JMC or whatever Association. If I am renting a house, I will complain to the owner who collects my rent. Why would I talk to the local council or whoever the president?

Most of the existing Vilasuri committee members are of the opinion that members rely on the Association to raise issues which now already taken over by JMC and members seldom participate in social activities. Moreover, some in the committee are getting very tired in view of no takers for their positions. Mr. Lee himself had given up serving and so would I but I have no choice because if nobody likes to it, I have to do for the sake of my family, my brother's family and Chan's family in Vilasuri.

Continuity needs participation and participation needs encouragement and encouragement needs the compasion of all in Vilasuri to think laterally and not politically.

If this politic continues and goes over board, I will stay on the side and treat my house as a hotel for me to stay only. Why should I give a damn!

KK Leong for Leong families (70A, 33, 37)

Anonymous said...

I have stayed here for 6 over years. From the very first year, I was invited by my brother-in-law SH Chan, to join the committee; knowing well I have been active from school days activities to social clubs. But what I am tired about is that no one voluntarily come forward to be nominated into the committee and some of those voted would try to avoid being active and finally and conveniently left out.

Of course I share the same sentiment with Mr. Lee being a social club but what point of struggling to maintain the club when not many are willing to sacrifice their time to organise events and worse still not many willing to participate in the events. Better we organise among residents for pot-luck and impromtu gatherings.

On the part of non-owner residents' issues, the norm is the renting resident will go back to the owner for any complaint and not to a JMC or whatever Association. If I am renting a house, I will complain to the owner who collects my rent. Why would I talk to the local council or whoever the president?

Most of the existing Vilasuri committee members are of the opinion that members rely on the Association to raise issues which now already taken over by JMC and members seldom participate in social activities. Moreover, some in the committee are getting very tired in view of no takers for their positions. Mr. Lee himself had given up serving and so would I but I have no choice because if nobody likes to it, I have to do for the sake of my family, my brother's family and Chan's family in Vilasuri.

Continuity needs participation and participation needs encouragement and encouragement needs the compasion of all in Vilasuri to think laterally and not politically.

If this politic continues and goes over board, I will stay on the side and treat my house as a hotel for me to stay only. Why should I give a damn!

KK Leong for Leong families (70A, 33, 37)