Monday, September 28, 2009

Birding at the Frasers Hill


Greeted by the Grey Wagtail, Mountain Bulbul, Magpie Robin, Long-tailed Sibia as I entered Frasers Hill.


Checked-in at the Pine Resort, my favourite place for accommodation.
The Pine Resort
Looking out from the balcony, a Blyths Hawk-eagle was perching at a tree far away.

Blyth's Hawk-eagle
Flocks of White-rumped Munia were everywhere.

White-rumped Munia

Told by Singapore birders that 3 Malaysian Hill-Partridges were sighted, so decided to try my luck the next morning.

While waiting patiently by the roadside, I suddenly heard noises behind me. So I turned my head. Wonderful, a barking deer (kijang) emerged from the bushes. It was hardly 20 metres from me. Gosh! my first encounter with a barking deer in the wild.
Walked out from the jungle

Realized my presence

Dashed across the road
Speed-up

And it's gone

No luck with the Malaysian Hill-Partridge, but saw a pair of sub-adult Chestnut-crowned Laughingthrush, Little Cuckoo-Dove, Rufous-browed Flycatcher,along with other spp. like Streaked Spiderhunter, Silver-eared Mesia, Chestnut-capped Laughingthrush, Grey Wagtail etc.

Heard calls of Collared Owlet. so near but just couldn't trace it with scope.

sub-adult Chestnut-crowned Laughingthrush
Little Cuckoo-Dove
Balancing with its tail feathers
Rufous-browed Flycatcher

From the Pine Resort, I was videoing the wild boars in the evening, then suddenly I saw a panther walking down the slope, moving towards Corona Nursery

Wild boar

Panther

The next morning, I told the counter staff of the Pine Resort regarding the panther seen. According to him, 2 months ago, a tigress with cubs were spotted by a foreigner at the new road near the bridge.
So friends, while enjoying bird watching, please be very careful over your safety.

5 comments:

pw said...

lucky you!!

WY said...

Go again, get the tiger in your scope, safe distance. I like the Blyth's HE. It would be my lifer.

Wong Chor Mun said...

wow..interesting..
when the road is less access, wildlife roam wild

Yong Ding Li said...

It looks too slight to be a panther i feel. Most likely a melanistic morph of the Asiatic Golden Cat, which is known to occur in Pen. Malaysia

andy adcock said...

sorry to be so negative but that is surely just a black domestic cat! Nothing about the animal suggests anything else to me I'm afraid.